This post may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission when using these links. Learn more
Sling is now providing all of its live TV subscribers with 10 hours of cloud DVR for free. Previously, cloud DVR was only available as an add-on with Sling. This follows on from Sling announcing a price increase that affects all of its subscribers.
Sling TV has always been positioned as a low-cost option In the past, this has meant those who want additional features have often had to pay for them. Cloud DVR was one of those features up until now.
Starting today, new subscribers to any of Sling’s main TV plans will get 10 hours of cloud DVR for free. Unlike other live TV streaming services, Sling TV does not put any time restrictions on the cloud DVR experience. Therefore, even with the free cloud DVR, subscribers will be able to keep recordings for as long as they want.
Existing subscribers are also getting the free cloud DVR with Sling stating the new feature will roll out “in the coming weeks.” In the meantime, they can fast-track the process by going to their account and enabling the free cloud DVR in the settings.
Here’s the free cloud DVR’s main features, according to Sling:
- Watch anywhere, anytime – Record multiple shows or movies simultaneously from any of your Sling devices and watch wherever you want in the U.S.
- Fast-forward through ads – Save time with the freedom to pause, rewind or fast-forward recorded content, including commercials.
- Save recordings – Keep recordings as long as you choose, with no expiration.
- Record favorite channels – Subscribers can now record all live linear channels on Sling, including Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network, SEC Network, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPNEWS and ESPNU.*
- Auto-managed storage – Sling will automatically manage the Cloud DVR space to make room for new recordings when capacity is full by deleting the oldest “watched” recording.
The subscribers that are unlikely to benefit from this change are those who already pay for the “Cloud DVR Plus” add-on. Sling has not suggested those subscribers will get any additional increase to their Cloud DVR storage limit. Although, if they cancel the add-on completely they will still be entitled to the free version.
The Cloud DVR Plus add-on from Sling costs $5 per month and results in 50 hours of cloud DVR access.
You now get more with Sling, but pay more too
The news of the free cloud DVR did not come through alone. Sling also today announced it is increasing its prices in general. This follows on from the many other live TV streaming services that have also increased their prices in 2019.
Going forward, subscribers to either the Sling Orange or Sling Blue plan will be charged $30 per month. Subscribers to Sling Orange + Blue plan will see their cost increase to $45 per month.